TWO SISTERS, A BUNCH OF MAPS, AND ONE AMAZING LITTLE CAR

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sydney With Sun

Danielle here again, but through Tara's profile. Day 2 in Sydney provided much better weather and we were able to approach Sydney Harbour again without the freezing cold rain and winds. I would like to note at this moment that Tara picked out the pictures for the blog and I am making the commentaries, so if you're thinking I like to post a lot of pictures of myself, just know that it's Tara not liking pictures of herself and putting more in of me.

The infamous Opera House. We took many pictures from a distance because we were too lazy to walk closer and there was so much more to see! However, later in the day we decided this could be the only time we might ever be in Sydney and it would be silly to see the Opera House and never touch it...so we went closer and were glad we did until we noticed some creepy men watching us and smiling at us.

T's great photography skills highlighting the pattern of the Sydney Opera House and me standing in the way.

Me sitting by Opera House. You can pretend this one is Tara since she decided to include two shots of me and none of her...

More Opera House. It really was a cool building.

Me with a German sausage. This was a special moment. I love Germans and German food, but this really is a wonderful moment because T and I have been sharing food due to a lack of storage space where we live. For those of you who didn't already know, T is a wannabe vegan which means a whole lot of horrible things (in my opinion) for any food lover. I have tried to go along with T's diet just to keep things easier around the house but I think I've been going through meat withdrawal because I get really cranky when we go grocery shopping and she won't let me buy what I would call "real" food. I love any opportunity to eat out because that means I get to eat meat!! This was a GREAT day.

The Rocks Market. SO much to look at.

Matchy matchy. One of our Rocks Market purchases.

Commom dialogue after someone comments on our bracelets.
T: Where'd we get these again?
D: Sydney, T. Sydney.
(She'll deny it, but it's happened more than twice)

Two of our favourite people along our travels. This hilarious man chatted to us for at least a good half hour as his dear wife watched on and occasionally rolled her eyes. That tray he's holding? It contains bits of licorice he chops up with the wire cutters he is threatening me with. He'll let you try all the different flavors they have. Already tried them? Have more! He doesn't care. We were practically spoon fed licorice bits the entire time there. We were glad to support them and bought a bag to take along with us but didn't touch it for a while as we were sugared out by the time we left them.

More at the Rocks markets.

Some of Sydney's streets.



The Sydney Harbor Bridge from the Rocks.

I made T take this picture for me. The only Christmas trees and wreaths we kept seeing in Sydney were ones made of plastic pop bottles.

Along our stroll down Sydney's main streets we caught glimpse of hanging bird cages deep down in an alley. We decided to check it out.

T admiring cages.

No one seemed to notice the cages were there. We were the only ones around. There weren't even any birds to be found but you could hear them chirping from a recording playing somewhere. It was really cool and slightly creepy.

Sydney Harbour. This part was not too far from where we stayed.

On the ferry to Manly Beach.

We decided to take a ferry out to Manly Beach - one of Sydney's popular beaches. We were greatly disappointed when we arrived. It was small, dirty and just overall pathetic but we just took a 30 min ride to get there so we did what any two girls would do in such a situation. We bought some ice cream to make ourselves feel better and took a seat to enjoy the disappointing sight. While sitting there we noticed a plane in the air spelling "Call mum" . It was at this point that T and I realized we hadn't been in touch with our dear mother since before we left on our travels. Mum was under the impression that we were going to fly to Perth as we had originally planned. We had neglected to inform her that the plans had changed and we were taking our beater car Rosie Ratbag across the great continent. Impressed by the sign in the sky I suggested we give Mum a call and it was a good thing we did - the poor woman had been frantically trying to get a hold of us since she discovered Tara's announcement on her blog that we would be driving across the country, not flying over it. Thank you to the sky messenger who helped us put poor Glender at peace.

Us at the real Manly Beach.

This is that real Manly Beach. The dirty, pathetic one I told you about? Yeah, that wasn't it. We got it wrong. Apparently, they have a sign to guide you to it but we didn't catch that until we decided to head back to the city. Why we didn't think to check the signs in the first place I don't know. The real thing was much nicer but swarmed with people.

Pirate ship in Sydney Harbour. Thankfully we passed them without attack.

And that sums up our Sydney with the sun fun! We were so physically exhausted from our few days of full on walking around the city that is was nice to hit the road again and be forced to sit for a while.

1 comment:

  1. So is licorice really a big Aussie thing? I buy this red Aussie licorice that I LOVE!

    ReplyDelete